"We received your application to close the account. Where do you want to collect the money?"

Father

Professional
Reaction score
Anna:
They called me from some city number and said it was from a bank. They received my application to close the account and want to know when and from which branch I want to withdraw money from this account. I was surprised because I didn't write such a statement. And she told them about it. They answered me on the phone, they say, it was someone who wrote for me and wants to get my money. I was scared: what to do? It is necessary, they say, to transfer the money as soon as possible to some secure bank account. Then the employee asked me to tell him the full number of the card to which my account is linked in order to transfer money. I began to look for a map, but out of excitement I could not find it quickly. And I say: I'll call you back as soon as I find her. The employee began to intimidate me that I had to hurry or my money would be stolen. And asked if I had any other card. I felt somehow uncomfortable that I was in such a hurry, I got nervous and hung up. I decided that it would be better to go to the bank branch in the next house and find out everything calmly there. I came to the department, and they tell me that they were scammers.

Financial Culture Expert:
Fraudsters use a variety of pretexts to gain access to a person's bank account and steal their money. Often fraudsters report that "a suspicious payment is being made on the card" for a large amount. Anna was frightened with the message “about closing the account”. There may be other legends about how "intruders encroach on your money".
The goal of the fraudsters is invariable - to entice confidential data: full card details, including the secret CVC / CVV code on the back, as well as passwords and codes from SMS. Supposedly with the help of this information it will be possible to "secure the client's account".
If you believe the scammers and tell the secret data that they ask for, then you can lose all the money in the account.
No matter how disturbing news you may be called from the bank, you should not lose your vigilance. Name, patronymic and other personal data for fraudsters can easily be obtained from open sources - for example, from social networks. The number that is displayed on the phone when you call may turn out to be fake.

In any situation, it is worth adhering to the basic security rules in order to protect yourself from fraudsters:
  • Under no pretext, you should not disclose personal data, card details and secret information to anyone: CVC / CVV-code on the back of the card, codes from SMS and PIN-codes. The bank will not return the money if it turns out that the client himself disclosed confidential data.
  • When a bank employee calls and informs about the threat of fraud, problems with the card or other force majeure, you need to politely interrupt the conversation, hang up and call the bank at its official number. The bank's hotline phone number is indicated on its official website and on the back of the card. It is better to dial the number manually: if scammers called, then the callback can connect to them.
  • You cannot follow any instructions of strangers: call back, send SMS to unknown numbers, follow links from messages "from the bank", download mobile applications on demand. Before you do something, you should take a break, call the hotline number and consult the operator. Real bank employees never intimidate or rush clients.
Read more about how to secure your money in the texts “They call from the bank number and ask for confidential data. What to do?" and Online Bank Card Fraud.