virtualization question

sincredibly

BANNED
Reaction score
virtualbox allows you to specify the machines mac address.. i'm wondering, how legit is that? is it easy to see the "true" mac addy of your machine beyond the vm?

VIPDealer1

BANNED
Reaction score
I'm not sure I follow your question, but if you're looking for a way to modify your MAC address (i.e. having a "different identity" for your PC when associating with an AP, for example), there are easier and more straightforward ways to do it. Just google "mac address changer", you'll have plenty of options.

---------- Сообщение добавлено в 09:11 PM ---------- Предыдущее сообщение размещено в 08:57 PM ----------

On the other hand, if you want to create a virtual machine (probably encrypted) and use that as a "safe haven" to conduct your business online, I can give you a million reasons why you shouldn't. :)

The most important reason is that using such a solution is too complicated (involves too many steps) to maintain proper discipline for long. IMHO, the best solutions are the straightforward (but not necessarily simple) ones, because they don't require you to do any thinking, if implemented properly.

For example, consider a dedicated (second hand?) laptop with entire hard disk encryption (there's a good tutorial in another thread) and with a mac randomizer script running at boot-time, with all network protocols uninstalled except TCP/IP and no allowed connections to anywhere except your socks address(es). Of course you can mess up with this configuration as well, but it's much more difficult to screw up, beacuse everything is automated and takes place without you even thinking about it. :)

Hope this helps..