SMS from a fake bank with malicious links

Father

Professional
Reaction score
Anna:
Every month my ex-husband transfers alimony to my card. We phoned one evening and he said he had transferred four thousand. I immediately received an SMS from the bank stating that the money was received
At night I received another notification from the bank that my card was blocked. To cancel the blocking, you had to follow the link from the message. I clicked on the link, and then my phone froze. This happens with phones, so it didn't scare me, I was much more worried about the blocked card. The phone rebooted, the problem seemed to be solved, so I decided to talk to the bank about the reasons for the sudden blocking later.
In the morning I took my daughter to the garden and went to the ATM, I wanted to withdraw the money sent. A surprise awaited me - there was no money on the card. I immediately contacted the bank and asked for the details of the invoice. It turned out that at night the bank received SMS commands from me to transfer funds to incomprehensible accounts in other cities. At the same time, there were no notifications about debiting money and changing the balance on the card!
The security officers advised me to write a statement of disagreement with the transaction and contact the police, as most likely I became a victim of a scam. The commands were sent instead of me by a virus that infected my phone. It turned out that the SMS I received about blocking the card allegedly from the bank was false, and after following the link and rebooting the phone, I downloaded a virus program. She immediately set up sending SMS to the specified number with the desired text and began to intercept incoming SMS notifications from the bank.
To return the missing money, the bank needed proof that it was not me who transferred the money. In my situation, such evidence is considered to be a criminal case. I collected and brought all the certificates and extracts to the police. After the case was opened, the bank considered my application for about two weeks, after which they returned the money to my account.

Financial Culture Expert:
Fraudsters “sew” such virus programs not only into messages from the bank, but also into SMS with the promise of winning, intriguing content, or in an SMS supposedly from a potential buyer interested in exchanging your goods from the classifieds site for their own. Short SMS - for example, “Look what I found on the Internet. Is it you on the photo?" or “I'm on the ad. Is the exchange interesting? " - end with a malicious link. Out of curiosity, the user navigates through it and downloads a virus program.

Follow these simple rules to avoid situations like this.
  • Be wary of any SMS containing a link - even if you are sure that it is from a bank. Carefully study the rules of safe operation for remote banking services on the official website of your bank. As a rule, the bank places them in the "Security" / "Information Security" section. Read the recommendations and find out what information you may be asked for, what kind of SMS your servicing bank never sends and how to check the authenticity of certain notifications.
  • Install antivirus on your smartphone and computer.
  • "Punch" the number from which the message came. Often, users who have already found themselves in a similar situation leave warnings about scammers on websites and forums.
  • Check the sender's name if it looks like a bank notification. There is usually a mistake in the names of a fake bank.
  • Don't buy phones "hand-held". In the market for used smartphones, there is a very high risk of purchasing a gadget with viral programs.
  • Connect two channels of notifications about transactions - receive them not only by phone, but also by e-mail.
  • If you nevertheless clicked on the malicious link and after that the smartphone "froze", because of which it had to be rebooted, contact the bank's help desk, transfer funds from the card to a secure account and block it just in case. Be sure to check your phone for viruses.