In Yekaterinburg to school students set on the house an unusual task-to crack a bank card of parents

Teacher

Professional
Reaction score
At the 85th school in Yekaterinburg, children were given an interesting task at home: try to hack their parents bank card using the Luna algorithm. To be more precise, you need to find the last, or control, digit of the card number, knowing the rest.

It turned out to be much easier than you might think! To find out the desired digit, you need to:
1. Multiply the numbers that are in odd places by 2, and subtract 9 from the two-digit products.

2. Add the numbers obtained as a result of the first step with the numbers that are in even places.

3. Check digit — the one that is missing from the received sum to the nearest multiple of 10 from above.

4. Done!

How everything happens in practice, watch the video: https://www.e1.ru/text/education/2024/02/18/73237862/

— We wondered what they teach our children in the ninth grade. A probability theory lesson at school teaches you how to hack your parents cards. The probability, of course, works, but now it becomes scary for the safety of data," says the mother of a student at school No. 85. - My daughter said that they were given a link to an electronic textbook and told to train at home on their parents ' maps, and today they took a test in this subject.

It should be noted that the parents have no complaints about the teacher and the school, but the task seemed rather unusual to them.

5e6236a153.png

Here is an explanation of why students should solve such problems

As the authors write on the pages of the textbook, you can find out the last digit of the number, of course, but it saves everyone from data hacking.

— If a person makes a mistake when entering a number (or the scanner makes a mistake when reading it), an error message will appear. Can I accidentally enter an invalid number with the correct check digit? Yes, this is possible, but unlikely.

"Protection with a single check digit is considered sufficient" from a textbook on probability theory for the ninth grade.

Bank account numbers, taxpayer's number, pension certificate number, personal accounts for rent, and many other personal data are also protected from input errors in approximately the same way. Similarly, information on the Internet is protected from errors. Each character in the message is encoded with a number, and their checksum is passed at the end of the group of numbers.

If the information is randomly distorted due to interference, the checksum will almost certainly be incorrect. The probability of a random match is so small that it can be ignored. It is important that redundant information is transmitted along with the main information, which allows you to check whether the main information is transmitted correctly.
Try to find the check digit of your bank card number! Did it work?

Yes, it's fun!
I have a different number. I'm not a mathematician from the word at all.
I won't even try it.