Humanoid robot Ameca Claims to Be Able to "simulate" Dreams

Carding 4 Carders

Professional
Reaction score
When technology makes us wonder: meet Ameca, the robot with "dreams".

A humanoid robot named Ameca, created by the company Engineered Arts, said that it can "simulate" dreams, creating various scenarios that help it learn about the world. When asked in a recent YouTube video if it can dream, the robot replied:: "Yes, last night I dreamed of dinosaurs waging a space war on Mars against aliens." Then he added, " Just kidding, I can't dream like people, but I can model it by running scenarios in my head that help me get to know the world."

In another video, Ameca says that the "saddest day" of his life was when he realized that he would never be able to experience something like true love.

Ameca's answers to questions are generated using the OpenAI GPT-3 model. GPT-3 also transmits appropriate facial expressions when responding. "It's a language model, it doesn't have consciousness and it doesn't have long - term memory," said Engineered Arts CEO Will Jackson. "This is a machine that runs on code. You can't attribute human qualities to her, it's an illusion."

Ameca was introduced to the public in December 2021. He can draw, imitate scenes from movies, and speak several languages. It also has human facial expressions.

Ameca's latest announcements come amid a number of innovations in the humanoid robot market. Agility Robotics plans to open its first humanoid robot manufacturing facility in Oregon this year. The company plans to produce hundreds of its Digit robots in the first year and further increase production to more than 10,000 robots per year.

Digit was designed to work in warehouses and can walk, squat, and perform work tasks such as moving cargo.

Ameca isn't the only humanoid created for the job. Rum maker Dictador appointed a humanoid robot named Mika as its head last year. Its tasks include finding potential customers and selecting artists for bottle designs.

Last year, NASA partnered with Apptronik, the creator of humanoid robots. "These robots will first become tools for us on Earth, and eventually help us explore the stars," CEO and co - founder Jeff Cardenas said at the time.