Gadgets under protection: the launch of the advanced Google network for device search is close

Father

Professional
Reaction score
Did the company take into account the mistakes made by Apple with its proprietary "Locator"?

Google is about to launch the long-awaited device search network, which promises to be a real godsend for Android users. According to information discovered by the publication 9to5Google, the company sent a letter to some users, which announced the imminent inclusion of the function.

The innovation will allow you to find missing phones and accessories using data from millions of other Android devices, working on a similar principle to Apple's tracking technology and Tile.

Another interesting feature of such a network is that it will be able to detect Fast Pair-compatible accessories, such as headphones, headsets, and trackers, even if they are disconnected from your device or are offline. Users will see a notification on their device when the feature is activated. If desired, the function can be disabled manually.

jlcq4go3f5elszj7uvfdkuyy1beepm9t.png

Initially, the Good Corporation announced the expansion of the existing Find My Device network at the Google I/O conference in 2023. The launch of the network was delayed because the company was waiting for Apple to implement an unknown tracker alert feature for all tracking devices, not just AirTag.

Recall that earlier Apple became involved in a scandal when its AirTag technology was accused of simplifying surveillance for various ill-wishers, including maniacs and murderers. The company has repeatedly implemented improved security measures against unwanted tracking, but all of them were aimed specifically at branded AirTag, when these measures did not cover third-party accessories.

Now that Apple is about to adopt an expanded anti-surveillance specification in iOS 17.5, the launch of Google's Find My Device network seems imminent.

Some Android users have already noticed the new "Find your Offline Devices" setting in the latest beta version of Google Play services. This indicates that the official launch may take place very soon, offering a new level of security and ease of use for devices.