Darknet marketplaces move from Tor to I2P

Brother

Professional
Reaction score
75613a3a385f5ec593df8.png

Libertas Market was the first underground marketplace to ditch Tor entirely in favor of I2P.

The success of law enforcement agencies in deanonymizing Tor users has forced cybercriminals to look for alternative platforms to carry out their activities. At least one clandestine marketplace has already migrated from Tor to the Invisible Internet Project (I2P), according to ZDNet.

Libertas Market, a website selling illegal goods, was the first clandestine marketplace to ditch Tor entirely in favor of I2P. “The Tor network is not suitable for hidden services because of its vulnerabilities that allow denial of service attacks. These vulnerabilities allow law enforcement agencies to determine which hidden services are allowed to operate and whether they are legal, ”the resource administration said on its already closed Tor website.

Users of underground marketplaces urged to abandon Tor long before Libertas Market finally decided to take this step. Tired of endless DDoS attacks and constant unavailability of services, users for several months asked the administrators of Dream Market, Wall Street Market, Cryptonia and Empire Market to switch to I2P.

There have been earlier attempts to migrate from Tor to I2P, but to no avail. After a wave of shutdowns of major darknet marketplaces AlphaBay, Hansa Market and RAMP in the summer of 2017, concerned users tried to encourage other sites to migrate to I2P, but their attempts were unsuccessful.

I2P is free software that allows you to implement an anonymous network that runs over the Internet. The I2P network is overlay, resilient, anonymous and decentralized. Any service can be deployed within the I2P network while maintaining the anonymity of the server.