How the Bumble app turned its creator into the world's youngest billionaire

CUK77

Professional
Reaction score
Whitney Wolf Heard, 31, is also the co-founder of another popular dating app, Tinder.

Whitney Wolf Heard is the youngest self-made billionaire.

Bumble is the world's second most popular online dating app. According to official figures from Statista, Tinder surpasses it by about 2.8 million users. Interestingly, the entrepreneur Whitney Wolf Hurd had a hand in the creation of both services. Here's how, after her scandalous departure from Tinder, an American woman created a new "feminist" dating app and made a billion dollar fortune with it.

From Bumble to Tinder: The Success Story of Whitney Wolf Heard

At 31, Hurd became the youngest CEO of a public company.

In 2012, Hurd co-founded Tinder with a catchy name. “Tinder is the xCEgb that ignites the fire,” she explained in an interview with Grazia.

At the company, the girl served as vice president of marketing, but left the post in 2014, later filing a lawsuit against Tinder for sexual harassment. According to media reports, she received more than $ 1 million in compensation plus shares as part of a settlement agreement.

In the same 2014, Hurd founded a new company, Bumble, together with the Russian billionaire and the founder of the social network Badoo, Andrey Andreev. The app, which was launched three years before the Me Too movement, clearly fits into a new socio-cultural paradigm: in Bumble, heterosexual dating is exclusively initiated by women.

As Hurd herself says, “I founded Bumble because I saw a problem that I wanted to solve. It was 2014. Many smart and beautiful women I knew were waiting for the first step from men. They waited to be asked out on dates, asked for a phone number, and typed in a dating app. For all the advances women have made in their careers and gains in power, the gender dynamics of dating and romance still seemed outdated. I thought, what if I could turn it upside down? What if women took the first step and sent the first message? Almost six years later, during which countless weddings and childbirths have occurred, Bumble has grown into a community of over 100 million users on six continents. We have celebrated 1.5 billion “first steps”.
In 2017 and 2018, Hurd was twice included in the "30 under 30" list of the American magazine Forbes, and in 2018 she was included in the "Time 100" - the rating of the 100 most influential people of the year according to the Time magazine.

After Bumble went public in February 2021, Wolf Heard, who owns 11.6% of Bumble, has become the youngest female billionaire to make her own fortune.

Tinder and LinkedIn competitor: TOP facts about Bumble

Bumble also lets you make business contacts.

Bumble is one of the most popular dating apps in the world. In 2020, the service reached 100 million users.

Bumble allows you to make not only romantic acquaintances, but also friends. For the latter, there is a special BFF mode - Best Friends Forever [best friends forever from English. - PSM7.COM]. There is also a Bumble Bizz subsection in the application, where users can communicate and build a career - here, girls are also the first to start a conversation between a man and a woman.

The app works in the same way as Tinder: users can swipe to the right to “like” a profile, and to the left to dismiss. When two people "like" each other's profile, it's a match - a coincidence.

Men ca n't be the first to write to women in Bumble.

In the coincidences of heterosexual couples, only a woman can be the first to write to a potential partner. If she doesn't send a message or if it doesn't get a response within 24 hours, the match will disappear. Men can extend the match time by an additional 24 hours for a fee. Registration in the application is free.

Bumble also has an account verification option. To do this, the user must take a picture by performing a certain movement in order to prove that the profile belongs to him. After successful verification, an authenticity icon will be displayed in the profile.

Note. Actress Sharon Stone was once banned from Bumble because her profile was deemed fake.

Fighting dick picks. Bumble uses an artificial intelligence tool that helps fight unwanted photos. The service scans images that users send to each other in chats for signs of obscenity and then blurs them or places a warning on them. Recipients can block the photo and report it if they wish, or ignore the message and view it.