Totally erase and unrecoverable hard disk

ZATAN

Reaction score
Hi,

How to destroy all data on hard drivers ompletely, excluding any possibility of future recovery of deleted files and folders?

I will be thankful for good ideas.

pacm@n

Professional
Reaction score
Run a magnet over the disc inside the HDD unit :)

gambit

Reaction score
Popular magnet isn't good solution. It's too weak to destroy all data. It will surely destroy some info but some data from hdd can be recovered. You want fast or slow method?
Fast:
Destroy it by hammer, use crane. Method is hard to do but no data can be revealed. Popular magnet's even if destroy data will leave some magnetic spectrum from which LE can reveal data. Cost's are very high but it's possible to them.

Slow:
Instal linux, format (slow), install windows, format (slow), instal linux, format (slow), install windows, use Eraser with 35 passes (Guttman method). It takes some time but you will be sure that none data can be revealed

420biz

BANNED
Reaction score
Please note, if you want to make a deal with this user, that it is blocked.
Use Truecrypt to encrypt the entire drive with some fast encryption method.
Then, secure delete everything by overwriting with /dev/zero or using a program like CCleaner or Eraser to write multiple 0's to every data track. Drive is now dead, and any info found will be encrypted/unreadable.

Now download 'Directory snoop' free trial hXXp://www.briggsoft.com/dsnoop.htm and nuke all the old deleted shit in the MFT (Master File Table.. if there's anything there). That way there's no filenames such as 'Bank_hack_2010_lulz.rar' If really paranoid, run erase again and overwrite with more zeros but typically 3-7 passes is enough.

If you were a high profile target (master carder committing multi million dollars in fraud with a huge worldwide crew) they could re assemble your drives from that shredding machine and use forensics to pluck data from it. LE/Interpol have entire labs dedicated to doing this run by PHd engineers. I wouldn't take my chances with magnets or destruction when they can legally take your stuff out of the garbage without a warrant and examine it.

Last edited:

turbobox

Professional
Reaction score
Check out http://www.dban.org/ the program is also free and open source:)

Darik's Boot and Nuke ("DBAN") is a self-contained boot disk that securely wipes the hard disks of most computers. DBAN will automatically and completely delete the contents of any hard disk that it can detect, which makes it an appropriate utility for bulk or emergency data destruction.

Seller_CC

DEER
Reaction score
Администрация форума пидорасы! Форум гамно!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Plasmasmog

Reaction score
Using a magnet to destroy the harddisk isn't a good idea. Some informations will be still readable. I can give you the tip to use DBAN with a secure erase method. When you are paranoid, you can crypt your HD before erasing with Truecrypt and destroy your harddisk with a magnet after erasing.

skazzi

RIPPER
Reaction score
check for active@boot disk , which has KillDisk for wipe hdd to destroy data permanently from HDD.

and i suggest you encrypt your laptop or pc with securstar.com and use the option to create a second fake OS in case of being forced to write the password so it wont boot your real OS where your data is stored, so now way that your documents will be touched by another person but you .

tonicooperi

RIPPER
Reaction score
Well, i've always used this method and all the times was fully impossible to read something from it, here is: simply burn DBAN on a disk and run it on the boot..then simply follow this guide that show the various method to erase your hd
hope to been helpfull bro

brig

Reaction score
PGP SHRED FREE SPACE on win32/64. great software and easy to use. you can shedule shred aswell.

Soprano

Professional
Reaction score
drop it into hot salted water and cook it for about 1.5 hour

Fanexus

Carder
Reaction score
Run killdisk then install your new os and encrypt the whole computer with Truecrypt.

If you don't know how to do, take a look at youtube for tutorials.
/F